Scenic Iceland & the Northern Lights - Small Group, Winter 2021-2022
Brochure Type: Europe Summer 2021 V2
Experience a world of natural phenomena; by day marvel at waterfalls, volcanoes and incredible landscapes and by night, seek out the dancing lights that fill cloudless skies.
- Reykjavik: This evening, delight in a delicious Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant where you round off your journey through one of the world's most naturally beautiful places.
- Dining Summary: Departures travelling over New Year's Eve and will enjoy a festive Highlight Dinner which will replace an included meal.
- Reykjavik : Choose between experiencing the magic of Iceland on an exhilarating flight-ride experience at FlyOver or alternatively, relax in the Blue Lagoon.
- Fridheimar: Explore a local farm and sample their sweet-tasting, homegrown tomatoes. Meet the family to learn about Icelandic horticulture and growing the tastiest tomatoes, all the while respecting the surrounding nature.
- Borganes: Learn about Iceland's history with a visit to the fascinating Icelandic Settlement Centre with your Local Expert.
- Hellisheiði: Visit Iceland's newest geothermal heat and electric power station in Hellisheidi, the second largest of its kind in the world. During this Make Travel Matter experience learn why Hellisheidavirkjun is a world leader in the utilisation of geothermal energy.Hellisheidavirkjun Power Plant, advances SDG 7: Affordable and Clean Energy. The Power Plant has helped Iceland achieve 70% of the country's energy consumption through renewable energy sources.
- Fontana: At a geothermal bakery, sample delicious rye bread dug hot from the ground. Using sustainable practices and only Icelandic ingredients, the bakery contributes to preserving the pristine and unspoiled nature of Iceland.Fontana Bakery, advances SDG 12: Responsible Consumption & Production. They pledge to reduce waste and increase recycling, use nature friendly products, local Icelandic ingredients and educate their staff and visitors about the importance of sustainable/responsible consumption.
- Skogafoss: Admire the majestic beauty of these two impressive waterfalls.
- Hvolsvollur: See these magnificent volcanoes.
- Gullfoss: The spectacular two-tiered waterfall, the Icelandic equivalent of Niagara falls, drops a total of 32 metres, while spanning the entire width of the Hvita River.
- Geysir: Visit the famous spouting Geysir which has become synonymous with hot springs all around the world.
- Thingvellir: The Parliamentary Plains are the most important historic site in the country, as the meeting place of the Althing, the world's oldest parliament that was founded in A.D. 930.
- Reykholt: Stop at this pretty village, home of poet and medieval scholar Snorri Sturluson.
- Reykjavik: Explore the city with your Local Expert. See the old town centre, the parliament building, Hofði House, the colourful harbour and the Hallgrimskirkja.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times
- If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport
Call (409) 866-7022 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15546069
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2021
- 7 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Reykjavik||The Viking City of Reykjavik: Welcome to Iceland. At Reykjavik's Keflavik Airport, you will be welcomed and transferred to your hotel.Join your Travel Director and travelling companions at 18:15 for your Welcome Reception and enjoy the opportunity to get to know each other, over a pleasant evening of wine and a light buffet. Afterwards, search for the most spectacular show on Earth - the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis. See the breathtaking night sky filled with an array of different colours.Please note: The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and therefore sightings cannot be guaranteed. (Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 2||Vik||South Shore Adventure to Vik: Take a journey through the stunning landscape of Iceland's south coast and through the land of Njal's Saga - a region of breathtaking scenery and legendary stories. Visit Iceland's newest geothermal heat and electric power station at Hellisheidarvirkjun. Your journey continues, as you witness the majesty of Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. Stand awestruck by the beauty and powerful force of these thundering waterfalls, before venturing on to view more phenomena. See the magnificent Hekla and Eyjafjallajokull volcanoes. Travel to the modern Lava Centre in Hvolsvollur, dedicated to Iceland's riveting volcanic activity and earthquakes. Later, you arrive in the welcoming community of Vik. Perhaps enjoy another chance to go in search of the mystical northern lights? (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Hotel Kria, Vik.
|Day 3||Fluoir||The Golden Circle to Fluðir: Embark on a day of discovery around Iceland's Golden Circle, taking in some of the famous landmarks this magical country has to offer. Experience the exploding hot springs at Geysir and the mighty Gullfoss waterfalls, the Icelandic equivalent of Niagara Falls. Next stop is Friðheimar, to learn about Icelandic greenhouse horticulture. Visit a family-run vegetable farm that specialises in tomatoes. Explore their greenhouses and sample the sweet, unique flavour of their lovingly grown crop. Continue to your hotel in Fluðir, where there is again a chance to look to the night sky and watch nature's theatre unfold. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Fluðir Icelandair Hotel.
|Day 4||Husafell||Thingvellir, Borgarnes and Husafell: In Fontana, visit a geothermal bakery to sample the delicious rye bread, dug hot from the ground and served with butter.Continue to Thingvellir, a remarkable UNESCO World Heritage Site that lies on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge line, where the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates meet. The first meeting of the Icelandic parliament was held here in A.D. 930. Journey along the trail of Viking warrior and poet Egill Skallagrimsson and stop at Reykholt for an orientation with your Travel Director. In Borgarnes, learn about Iceland's history with a fascinating visit to the Icelandic Settlement Centre. Enjoy views of the Hraunfossar and Barnafoss waterfalls as you drive through glorious landscapes. Your travels continue to Deildartunguhver, Europe's most powerful hot spring. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
|Day 5||Reykjavik||Reykjavik sightseeing: Journey back to the capital of Reykjavik, where a Local Expert will show you Old Reykjavik, the 19th century parliament building and Hofði House. In 1986, US President Ronald Reagan and Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev met here for the famous Reykjavik Summit. Continue to see the colourful harbour and the modern, landmark church, the Hallgrimskirkja, which can be seen from almost anywhere in the city.The afternoon is at leisure. (Breakfast)|
|Day 6||Reykjavik||Choice in Reykjavik: Explore Reykjavik with Insight Choice. Choose to experience the magic of Iceland on an exhilarating flight-ride at FlyOver to see incredible scenery from sweeping glaciers to stunning fjords. Alternatively, relax in the Blue Lagoon. Surrounded by lava fields and snow-capped mountains, the lagoon is a wonder of nature and offers a unique experience for both body and soul. With your newfound friends, toast to the culmination of your fascinating journey of discovery during a celebratory dinner at a local restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 7||Reykjavik||Farewell Reykjavik: Your Icelandic adventure comes to an end, with a transfer to Reykjavik's Keflavik Airport. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: In Iceland, Insight stays at the best available properties. Hotels are typical of the region and much simpler in style with clean rooms and private facilities. (27 Dec and 27 Dec) Festive Highlight Dinner: This departure will enjoy New Year's Eve dinner in Reykjavik.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class